||Western Washington University, with over 15,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 83,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master’s-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2017 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
The Viking Union organization supports Western’s mission to bring together individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives in an inclusive, student-centered university that develops the potential of learners and the well-being of communities. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
Two of the core values in the Viking Union Mission Statement are building community on campus and creating experiential education opportunities for students at Western. Supporting the event planning process across campus is critical to achieving these goals for the Viking Union and other campus departments that use events to support recruitment, retention, and relationship building development work for campus.
As our Events Services Manager you will be responsible for the management of Event Services and the reservations process for Viking Union Facilities (which include the Viking Union, Lakewood, Viqueen Lodge, exterior space on campus and AS Motorpool). You will also direct event setup and technical services to student and university departments for events across campus. Your responsibilities will include:
- Management of Event Services
- Set expectations and direct day-to-day operations
- Recommend options for delivery and set up of event furnishings, stages, lighting, sound, and other event support services
- Forecast and establish limits for service delivery
- Ensure staff is properly trained to provide setup, take down, security, onsite ticket sales, sound and technical support
- Manage inventory of event equipment; including assigning it to events
- Develop and recommend fee structure and rates
- Oversight of Reservations Processes
- Establish practices and direct staff in processing and approving reservation requests
- Facilitate the approval of space requests
- Support student organizations by facilitation and negotiation requests for academic space
- Event Management for Associated Students Programs and Events
- Provide consultation and direction to Associated Student groups and advisors
- Facilitate weekly meetings to review upcoming event details
- Supervise and Direct the Work of Event Services and Reservations Staff
- Approve leave, vacation schedules and approve overtime as necessary
- Review and prioritize work assignments
- Schedule employees to provide adequate staff for event service delivery
- Evaluate employee performance and recommend professional development and training opportunities
- Apply Developmental/Educational Strategies to Working With Students
- Develop training and educational opportunties
- Mentor and provide developmental guidance for student employees and event programmers
- Create experiential learning opportunities for student employees to engage and take leadership roles in supervision, hiring, and the management of a service oriented business
- Software and Technology
- Use event management software to track reservations, record event details and procedure reports
- Use specialized software to create building floor plans and two dimensional diagrams to support event planning
- Utilize Microsoft Office productions
- Maintain an appropriate knowledge of audio and visual equipment
- Fiscal Management
- Budget Authority for expenses in Event Services budget approving purchases and transfer of funds
- Monitor transactions in budget to ensure expense and revenue are within allocation
- Recommend fee increases and adjustments to rate structure
- interpret policy and fee structure to determine the appropriate service charges and rates
- Create and issue invoices
As our Event Services Manager, you will actively participate in training or staff development opportunities to support the development of competence and effectiveness in the areas of inclusion, diversity, multicultural and cross-cultural communication and other related topics. You will conduct work assignments in support of a positive and inclusive relationship with other diverse staff and students and provide service in a positive and inclusive manner.
The State HR classification for this position is Events Coordinator 2.