Job position / title: Baker
Name of business / employer: North Cascades Institute
The Baker takes a creative role in shaping ELC kitchen operations by providing all shifts with baked goods as well as general food service needs. This position works closely with the Head Chef and Sous Chef to produce menu items identified as necessary for each shift. This is a full time seasonal/temporary position of four months. Workweeks are five days and may include weekends.
- Responsible for providing breads, pastries, etc. for all summer meals, as agreed upon by Sous Chef and Head Chef
- Suggests original baked menu items
- Develops recipes for baked goods and adds them to NCI kitchen recipe book
- Assists Head Chef, Sous Chef, and Cooks with all food service needs
- Works with the Head Chef and Sous Chef to ensure efficient and high quality food service.
- Participates in kitchen meetings
- Participates in warewashing and general kitchen cleanliness.
This is a full time, seasonal/temporary, non-exempt position. Season will run from early-June 2018 through October 1, 2018. Wages are $12.00 to $15.00 per hour, DOE. Benefits include sick leave and holiday pay. Rental housing may be available. Pets and smoking are not allowed on campus or in Institute housing.
June 1, 2018
October 10, 2018
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs. North Cascades Institute is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
ABOUT NORTH CASCADES INSTITUTE
The Institute’s mission is to inspire and empower environmental stewardship for all through transformative educational experiences in nature. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
North Cascades Institute, http://www.ncascades.org, is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $3 million budget and strong reserves, and more than a decade of Four-Star ratings with Charity Navigator. The Institute was also voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the North Cascades Institute.
- Enthusiasm for and experience with “Foodshed” principals and the “Slow Food” movement.
- One year or more Professional food service experience
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks with exemplary time management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to give and receive direction in a way that models respect
- Ability to comply with a smoke- and drug-free work environment
- Ability to lift 50 pounds occasionally and walk over uneven terrain
- Valid driver’s license and driving record check must have no more than one moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving, or serious moving violations.
- Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
- Previous baking experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities
- Professional food service experience in an institutional setting, preparing diverse, health-conscious meals for children and adult groups, including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients
- Ability to scale recipes to meet group size requirements
- Strong working knowledge of baking science
- Familiarity with standard bakery equipment
Person or department to contact: Cindy Lee
Business address: 810 State Route 20, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
Phone: (360) 854-2654
How to apply
Please apply online on our website: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/
Complete the online application and upload a resume and cover letter pertinent to this position.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter