Assistant Superintendent – Maintenance & Operations Public Works
Salary Range: $5,958 – $8,126 per month, DOQ Closing Date: March 7, 2019 at 4:30 PM
Whatcom County Public Works Department is seeking an experienced professional to fill the Assistant Superintendent position in the Maintenance & Operations division. This position helps oversee and manage a 70+ person crew and serves as a crucial link between the public, local municipalities, utility and construction companies, and County staff on maintenance and construction related issues and projects.
Primary duties include:
• Developing, scheduling and prioritizing work plans for assigned crews for the construction, repair, inspection and maintenance of County roadways, drainage structures, ferry docks and approximately 150 County bridges.
• Overseeing annual dry dock maintenance activities for the Lummi Island Ferry.
• Assisting with the development and monitoring of an approximately $14 million annual division budget, and managing assigned programs and staff in a manner that ensures expenditures remain within approved budget.
• Coordinating maintenance and construction programs and schedules with the Whatcom County Engineering division.
• Supervising assigned staff, evaluating performance, and participating in the selection of new employees.
• Ensuring compliance with department and county policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements, environmental regulations and legal requirements.
• Providing on-call 24/7 response for coordination of Public Works activities related to emergencies and storm events.
Qualifications Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field and 6 years of progressively responsible road construction and maintenance experience, including a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience;
Associate’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field and 8 years of progressively responsible road construction and maintenance experience, including a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience;
High School diploma or GED and 8 years of progressively responsible road construction and maintenance experience, including a minimum of 4 years of supervisory experience.
Must be proficient with Microsoft Office software suite.
Experience supervising work crews in a public sector unionized environment preferred.
Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license
Must be eligible to cross between the United States and Canada
Whatcom County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply: Please visit our website http://www.whatcomcounty.us/jobs
Human Resources, 311 Grand Avenue, Suite 107, Bellingham, WA 98225