Job position / title: TRIO Upward Bound Summer Academy Mentor
Name of business / employer: Whatcom Community College
Whatcom Community College’s Upward Bound program is a federal TRIO program funded by the U.S. Department of Education, and is designed to encourage, and support 60 students in Whatcom County to complete high school, and prepare them to enter, and complete a postsecondary education program. The program serves students at Ferndale, Nooksack, and Mount Baker high schools, with a focus on serving potential first generation college students.
TRIO Upward Bound Summer Mentors are current Whatcom Community College students selected and trained to support the target populations of the Upward Bound program through mentorship, individual and group activities. TRIO Upward Bound summer mentors will help student’s complete needed steps to enroll in college, including admission process, key summer deadlines and financial aid.
Additional duties include but are not limited to:
- Welcome students and help facilitate AM check-in
- Help plan and facilitate lunch activities and conversation
- Maintain confidentiality of student information
- Support students in meeting academic rigor of summer program
- Engaging with students throughout the day, formally and informally
- Get to know participants, be approachable, and make yourself available during
- Work with students to help them identify their strengths
- Mentor small groups and 1-1 with students
- Facilitate activities for small groups of students
*We are tentatively hosting a training/orientation for summer staff on Friday May 25th 9:30am-12:00pm with lunch.
-Current WCC Student
-3.0 GPA Minimum
Person or department to contact: Sarah Simpson
Business address: 237 W. Kellogg Road Bellingham, WA 98226
Phone: (360) 383-3134
Please provide the following materials in your application:
- Cover Letter (see info below)
- Names and contact information of three recent professional references (name, phone number, and nature of relationship)
Application Due By: April 30th, 2018
Turn in applications either by stopping by the TRIO Upward Bound Office (Foundation Building 101D) or by scanning and emailing to Sarah Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions please contact Sarah Simpson at 360-383-3134 or email@example.com
Please address the following questions in your Cover Letter:
- In reading the job description what interests you in this position? What do you see yourself bringing to this position? What do you hope to learn from serving in this position?
- Tell us a bit about yourself and the experience(s) that you would bring with you to this position including working in a mentoring role (i.e. family, community or school for example), working with students or working with people. Please include anything else you think is relevant to the position.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter