Job position / title
Forest School Program Assistant
Name of business / employer
North Cascades Institute
Job description / duties
The Forest School Program Assistant works under close supervision by the School Day Programs Coordinator and is based at Bellingham School District’s Gordon Carter Environmental Education Site. The 100-acre forested Site is located about 30 minutes south of Bellingham near the south end of Lake Whatcom. The Forest School Program Assistant is a creative, enthusiastic and patient facilitator of positive outdoor experiences for small groups of third graders, able to communicate well with teachers and parent chaperones and work in cooperation with other staff members. The Program Assistant helps with all aspects of program facilitation including pre-season set up and post-season take down, gear/supply inventory and repair, teaching material preparation and curriculum feedback and evaluation.
In addition, the Program Assistant will help facilitate training for instructors, provide mentorship and feedback on teaching skills and work independently on specific curriculum projects or logistical details. The Program Assistant will be a point of contact for instructors and teachers leading up to field days and assist with program administration.
Participation in the Forest School program is a unique opportunity to participate and provide programmatic feedback to help further develop and strengthen the Institute’s newest school program.
Instruction – 80%
Forest School Program Assistant is responsible for the following:
● Attend all scheduled training
● Instruct small groups of students for all program dates
● Create a safe learning environment for youth through positive reinforcement, role-modeling and cultural sensitivity
● Instruct lessons in natural and cultural history, science, the arts and other subjects
● Do background research to help inform their understanding of the content
● Receive and give feedback about program curriculum, development and teaching skills
Program Support- 20%
● Participate in program briefings and debriefs
● Mentor instructors and provide feedback
● Assist with administrative duties
● Assist with managing and maintaining inventory of program educational materials
● Assist with other duties as required
● Report any risk management incidents
This is a temporary, part-time, non-exempt position, April 8-May 29, 2020. The wage is $14.00 per hour. Benefits include sick leave. Program Assistant will work 24 hours/week.
April 8th, 2020
Instructor training will be held April 8th and April 10th.
April 8 through May 29, 2020. Program dates are scheduled for each Wednesday and Friday starting April 15th through May 29. Program Assistant will work an additional weekday to be determined by the successful applicant and School Day Programs Coordinator.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.
About North Cascades Institute
The Institute’s mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute (www.ncascades.org) is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
● Enthusiasm for learning and teaching about the natural world
● Experience teaching elementary age youth
● Familiarity with forest ecology
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training/experience in related field
● Be available to attend training and teach the scheduled program dates
● Comfortable being in the outdoors in all weather conditions
● Excellent organization and communication skills
● Good judgment, flexibility and ability to work independently and reliably
● Ability to practice and enforce policy and safety practices as trained
● Reliable, independent worker and team player
● Must be 18 years of age or older
● Ability to adjust teaching methods to accommodate different audiences and learning styles
● Culturally competent and able to connect with students from a variety of backgrounds
● Creative, energetic, professional, motivated, cooperative team player willing to have fun
● Final offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
● CPR/First Aid Certification or advanced certification (Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder)
● Experience working with and mentoring adults
● Experience working directly with teachers and chaperone
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
Days and hours of employment
Dates of employment (specify if temp or seasonal)
April 8 – May 29, 2020
Person or department to contact
810 State Route 20, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
Work location (if different from above)
3801 S Bay Dr, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
How to apply
Please apply online on our website at: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/
Complete the online application and upload a cover letter and resume.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter