Job position / title
Name of business / employer
City of Lynden
Job description / duties
Plant(s) Operators perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled technical and maintenance work in the operation, maintenance and repair of the City’s water, wastewater and compost facilities.
Education and Experience
• Minimum graduation from high school or GED plus two (2) years post-secondary college or technical training in water/wastewater technology, biology, environmental science, chemistry, or closely related field; AND
• Minimum two (2) years of experience in water/wastewater treatment plants, preferably with municipal systems; OR
• Equivalent combinations of education and experience that provide the incumbent with the necessary qualifications may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Water and wastewater operation processes and procedures, including collection, treatment, and maintenance of equipment, facilities, and materials.
• Chemical/physical and biological process used in water and wastewater treatment processes, e.g., coagulation, flocculation, settling, filtration, disinfection, and activated sludge.
• Laboratory procedures and practices for BOD,DO, pH, jar test, TSS, and fecal coliforms.
• Compost facility operations, including collection and handling.
• Applicable safety regulations and policies.
Skills & Ability to:
• Support and promote the City’s mission, vision, and core values in all aspects of job performance.
• Basic computer software and use: word processing, e-mail, data entry.
• Use of standard sampling techniques and laboratory analysis.
• Communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, other departments and the public.
• Understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Read, research, and follow technical manuals, blueprints, drawings, and standard operations procedures (SOPs).
• Work collaboratively in a team environment.
• Work independently in trouble-shooting and correcting problems.
• Prioritize work and adjust to changing conditions as needed.
• Remain calm and follow established SOPs during emergency situations.
• Represent the City in a positive and professional manner.
• Must have a valid Washington State driver’s license and appropriate insurance at the time of hire for work-related travel.
• Must pass appropriate background checks.
• Possess at initial hire or ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire date, a Washington State Class I Certification as a Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
• Must obtain certification as a Class 3 Water Treatment Plant Operator and a Class 2 Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator within three years of hire date (all certifications must be kept current and active throughout tenure.)
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
$25.21 – $30.64 per hour
Days and hours of employment
M-F 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, plus some evening, weekend, on-call shifts
Dates of employment
Person or department to contact
300 4th Street
360.354.1170 ext. 102
How to apply
APPLICATION & REVIEW PROCESS
Application materials may be obtained from Lynden City Human Resources Office or online at http://www.lyndenwa.org/employment/.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter