Job position / title
Washington Reading Corps – Lowell Elementary
Name of business / employer
Lowell Elementary (Bellingham School District)
Job description / duties
Do you have a passion for books, writing, serving others and making a difference in the community?
Apply to serve at Lowell Elementary school as a Washington Reading Corps (WRC) member.
WRC is part of Americorps, a national service program, that is actively engaged in improving literacy in local schools. WRC is an excellent gap-year option for individuals interested in pursuing education, counseling, or any other public service profession focused on youth.
• Member stipend is $1,450.00 per month (pre-tax)
• Education award is $6,095.00 with successful term completion and 1700 total service hours for future schooling or to pay off existing qualified student loan debt.
• Full-time position running for 10.5 months.
• Basic health insurance (not including vision coverage)
• Forbearance (temporarily postponing paying off a loan) of qualified student loans during the service term
• Payment of interest on qualified student loans that accrued during the service term
• Serving in a full-time AmeriCorps position qualifies as “employment” towards the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program
• Member will be trained to tutor individual or small groups of students in grade K-5.
• Member will work during Lowell school hours: 7:30 am – 3 pm school days with breaks.
• Member will support 2-3 school-based afterschool or evening literacy events.
Our previous Lowell WRC members have had such remarkable experiences helping students learn to read, write, and thrive, that they have extended their service to a second year, the maximum for Americorps positions! Please, email Precious Bryngelson at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about this amazing opportunity.
To be eligible to serve as an AmeriCorps member, you
• Must be at least 17 years old at the time you start serving.
• Must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident alien.
• Cannot be (or required to be) listed on the National Sex Offender Registry, or have been convicted of murder.
• Must have a high school diploma or GED – or be on schedule to complete your education for either of them during your service term (note that some positions require a college degree). Tutoring positions require a high school diploma or GED at the time of enrollment.
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
Enter a specific hourly rate, or a range or ‘negotiable’ $1,450 monthly stipend + Educational $6K end of term
Days and hours of employment
7:30am-3pm School Days
Dates of employment (specify if temp or seasonal)
Person or department to contact
935 14th St
Work location (if different from above)
How to apply
Please, email Precious Bryngelson at email@example.com.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter