Job position / title
Name of business / employer
North Cascades Institute
Job description / duties
Summary of Position
North Cascades Institute is seeking a qualified, enthusiastic individual to join our retail team. This is a seasonal/temporary, full-time non-exempt position from mid-May through the end of September. The position is primarily based out of the North Cascades National Park Visitor Center assisting guests with their purchases and questions. Located in Newhalem, the distance is 54 miles east of Sedro-Woolley. A standard work week would be Tuesday through Saturday, 9am – 5pm with few variations.
North Cascades Institute is a non-profit cooperating association that supports North Cascades National Park Complex by the operation of six retail stores within and adjacent to the Park. The Newhalem Visitor Center is one of the most popular stores, with over 80,000 visitors in each of the last two years.
• Provide excellent customer service
• Handle sales transactions
• Maintain orderly, attractive appearance of retail area including timely merchandise displays and storage area
• Detailed, consistent communication with lead associate for product restock needs
• Maintain working knowledge of all stock in order to hand sell to visitors
• Develop expertise in use of the Point of sale (POS) system and cash register including agency Pass knowledge & sales
• Maintain financial records for opening and closing of the till and the change bag
• Become versed in North Cascades Institute’s mission and programs to cultivate public awareness
• Familiarity with National Park and National Recreation Area trails and campgrounds
• Positive relationship with park staff while exhibiting professional interaction with all visitors.
• Consistent communication on daily status; i.e. breaks, lunch, basic on site visibility
This is a temporary/seasonal, full time, non-exempt position, eligible for overtime pay. The wage is $13.50 per hour; benefits include sick leave and holiday pay. Shared rental housing is available, either at the Learning Center or in the neighboring town of Marblemount. Pets and smoking are not allowed in Institute housing. Employees are responsible for transportation to and from work.
May 20, 2019
Mid-May through the end of September, 2019
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies and programs.
North Cascades Institute is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
ABOUT NORTH CASCADES INSTITUTE
The Institute’s mission is to inspire and empower environmental stewardship for all through transformative educational experiences in nature. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
North cascades Institute, http://www.ncascades.org, is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and more than a decade of Four-Star ratings with Charity Navigator. The Institute was also voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.
• Exemplary customer service skills in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Accuracy and thoroughness in following procedures and in record keeping
• Experience with inventory, management Point of Sales (POS) system
• Able to move from task to task with frequent interruptions
• Must own reliable transportation
• Valid driver’s license and driving record check must have no more than one moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving or serious moving violations, etc.
• Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
Days and hours of employment
Mid-May – end of September, 2019. Tuesday – Saturday 9am-5pm
Dates of employment (specify if temp or seasonal)
Person or department to contact
810 State Route 20, Sedro Woolley, WA 98284
Work location (if different from above)
How to apply
Please apply online on our website: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/
Complete the online application and upload a resume and cover letter pertinent to this position.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter