Job position / title
Name of business / employer
North Cascades Institute
Job description / duties
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Systems Administrator is responsible for overseeing and monitoring daily systems operations for all technology and communication systems, and providing first level support for Institute servers and network infrastructure. The Systems Administrator provides technical and information support and services to 70+ staff, volunteers, and also serves as the liaison with external technology consultants
Network and Systems Administration (85%)
• Provide support and administration of all data communications equipment (Google GSuite, servers, routers, switches, VPN, firewall).
• Manage installation of patches and upgrades of network hardware and software. Manage WLAN (wireless network) and make certain security is properly implemented to limit access.
• Manage ISP and monitor Internet usage to maintain satisfactory service levels. Ensure reliable and quick connection to the Internet, manage messaging server, email accounts and lists for individuals and groups, and email protection service. Create and enforce strong password policies.
• Responsible for monitoring overall security and integrity of the Institute’s network environment. Configure and manage firewall and anti-virus software.
• Manage all operations on servers (Mac OS X and Synology NAS). Responsible for administration and problem resolution of servers and workstations. Maintain and configure servers and workgroups/volumes.
• Plan, write and implement data backup and recovery procedures and practices for Institute servers and users. Revise and update Information Technology (IT) Disaster Preparedness Plan as additions and changes are made.
• Responsible for ongoing planning, design, installation, configuration, and maintenance of the Institute’s network.
• Responsible for workstation configuration and management. Install, configure new systems and implement patches and upgrades for hardware/software. Maintain written inventory of hardware, serial numbers, physical locations, etc.
• Create and maintain written inventory that tracks all software and licenses issued as well as physical location. Assist with research and purchase of software.
• Create, implement and promote green technology goals. Research and purchase technology products that reduce our environmental impact; recycle equipment.
• Answer support calls and e-mails; log and prioritizes issues; provide staff with an estimated time of assistance and provide updates as timeframe changes. Problem solves issues such as email quandaries, workgroup connections, and workstation connections to scanner, printer and digital copier and data file management.
• Assist Finance Director with setting information technology vision for the organization, including hardware, software, infrastructure, communications systems and staff training.
• Provide staff and volunteers with training on computer systems, use of Institute servers, document retention, email administration, backup procedures, etc.
• Analyze the needs of departments and establish priorities for maintaining and expanding technologies needed to meet their goals.
• Write information technology policies and procedures and how-to documents.
• Monitor and adhere to technology budget and expenses, assist with annual IT budget planning.
• Conduct in-person work and support at the Environmental Learning Center 2-4 times a month.
Other Technology Support (15%)
• Salesforce Web-based CRM Database: Assist with user set-up, access, backup, problem solving with consultants.
• Point-of-Sale: Maintain and provide support for Cloud-based Point of Sale systems in 7 retail stores, one in Sedro-Woolley and five in the North Cascades National Park. Support includes handling hardware, desktop operating systems, anti-virus, updates, and network issues.
• Coordinate use and maintenance of A/V equipment. Ensure presentation hardware is in excellent working order, ensure adaptors and appropriate hardware are available. Manage projector maintenance, train staff on A/V use.
• Telephony Support: Work with the USFS communication team in assisting with the management of the Institute’s part of the VOIP system at the administrative office. At the Learning Center, work with the Learning Center Director to assist with the telephony systems.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Finance Director or Executive Director.
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position located in Sedro-Woolley, WA with a salary range of $50,000 to $55,000 annually based on experience. We offer a competitive compensation package; benefits include paid time-off, medical/dental insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, tax-deferred annuity and contribution retirement plan, and a yearly stipend to participate in Institute programs. There is an active carpool from Bellingham to the Sedro-Woolley office.
As soon as possible.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.
ABOUT NORTH CASCADES INSTITUTE
The Institute’s mission is to inspire and empower environmental stewardship for all through transformative educational experiences in nature. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
North Cascades Institute, http://www.ncascades.org, is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and more than a decade of Four-Star ratings with Charity Navigator. The Institute was also voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficient in latest technology for Information Technology (IT) systems and management.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Mac OS X, and Google G Suite.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent analytical and management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Thorough understanding of IT and practical applications to support the company’s goals.
Required Education and Experience:
• BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related discipline from accredited college or university; AA/AS degree in computer related field from accredited college or university, plus two years’ relevant experience; OR the combination of education and experience that enable performance of all aspects of the position.
• Two years minimum work experience in IT position.
• Prolonged periods sitting/standing at a desk and working on a computer.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times.
• Valid driver’s license and driving record check must have no more than one moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving or serious moving violations, etc.
• Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
Days and hours of employment
Person or department to contact
810 State Route 20, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284-1263
How to apply
Please apply online on our website at: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/
Complete the online application and upload a cover letter and resume.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter