Job position / title
Sunset Branch Loan Officer
Name of business / employer
Job description / duties
WECU is seeking a full-time Loan Officer to join our Sunset branch team located in Bellingham, WA. The schedule for this position is primarily Monday through Friday from 10:30 pm to 7:30 pm, and includes rotating Saturdays from 8:45am to 1:30pm. In this role you will strive to make a difference in member’s lives as defined by WECU’s mission and vision. The position requires a broad knowledge of all types of account ownership, account classifications, as well as a broad knowledge of credit union services. Within authorized authority, and in accordance with sound underwriting practices as set out in policy and procedure, examines, evaluates, and authorizes or recommends approval of borrowers applications for credit or extension of lines of credit, consumer credit loans, or credit card accounts. This person requires an ability to communicate effectively with prospective and current members and to represent the credit union in a positive and professional manner.
Qualified applicants must apply online via //www.wecu.com/careers-at-wecu
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
– Contributes to the organization’s mission statement and goals by providing the highest quality of service, treating each person professionally – with warmth, courtesy and respect, cross-selling additional services, and making a personal effort to make members feel they belong and are important to the credit union.
– Employs sound judgement, maintains knowledge of and, using decision-making skills, adheres to all standards on internal and external policies and procedures and BSA regulations.
– Obtains and maintains appointment as a Washington State Notary Public.
– Understands and complies with branch security procedures at all times.
– Responds and transacts to members’ inquiries regarding the operation of accounts, access to services, account usage charges, interest rates on savings and loan products, resolving account discrepancies, and assisting members to make the most effective use of services offered by the credit union.
– Assures sound and responsive credit union lending which meets member-organizational goals.
– Processes financial transactions for members including such functions as opening and closing accounts, issuing checks, processing deposits and withdrawals from accounts, issuing certificates, drafts and other negotiable instruments.
– Opens, closes and assists with Safe Deposit Box services.
– Responsible for pro-active soliciting and/or developing and maintaining profitable member account relationships. Acts as “relationship manager” to existing members cross selling the full range of WECU’s financial products and services.
– Works with completed loan applications, or personally interviews applicant and requests specified information for loan application. Information may be recorded in writing, or by computer.
– Analyzes applicant financial status, credit and property evaluation to determine feasibility of granting loan and approves or submits application to underwriters for verification and recommendation.
– Corresponds with or interviews applicant or creditors to resolve questions regarding application information.
– Analyzes potential lending opportunities involved in each lending situation to further assist the borrower as well as increase the credit union’s lending portfolio.
– Consistently achieves goals assigned for referrals, loans, and cross-sells.
– Ensures the protection of the credit union’s interests in matters of adequate documentation and adherence to credit union policy and various laws and regulations as well as the exercise of sound credit decisions.
– Opens, operates and closes computer terminal to accurately post transactions, access account information, balance transactions and generally update member account transactions and information.
– Refers members for other WECU services to ensure member satisfaction and consistently meet cross-sales goals. Assists in sales and member service promotional efforts. Focuses and assists internal partners including WECU’s Real Estate and Business Services Departments.
– Performs such other member service functions that might be needed from time to time, including teller functions and takes on other clerical duties when required as assistance in every department may be required from time to time.
– Effectively incorporates concepts of Deliver Value, Create Loyalty in daily behaviors and interactions with both internal and external members.
– Meets or exceeds all behavioral standards of a WECU employee.
– Follows policy and procedures related to Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Customer Identification Program (CIP) and Customer Due Diligence (CDD) daily to ensure compliance with current regulations. Follows policy and procedures related to OFAC by consistently running new members, entities, beneficiaries, co-signers, non-member parties involved in wires, and non-member check payee names through the Verafin system. Follows policy and procedures related to SARs by monitoring and reporting suspicious activity to the Compliance department. Notifies immediate supervisor of any substantive discrepancies with respect to information obtained under the CIP, including fraudulent identification and fraudulent applications. In addition, consistently notifies members that the credit union verifies certain information when opening a new account. Complete mandatory BSA/AML annual training via online web course.
– Assists in attaining the lending goals and objectives of the credit union.
– Professional approach to assessing the credit needs of members while observing the established lending policies and guidelines.
– Must fully understand credit union products and services and be able to assist members to use these products and services.
– Cooperative and positive attitude toward members and credit union staff.
– Professional appearance and attitude as well as the ability to communicate effectively with members and fellow employees.
– Acquire Green light underwriting authority within 6 months of position hire date.
NOTE: Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed to be exhausted lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job.
WECU is a not for profit financial cooperative where members are encouraged to save and borrow responsibly at fair and competitive rates. Headquartered in Bellingham, WA, WECU has 11 branches, over 126,000 members, and over 1.6 billion dollars in assets.
It is WECU’s mission to make a meaningful difference in the lives of our members. We strive to treat both members and staff with honesty and integrity and to be a socially responsible part of our community. WECU also endeavors to be an employer of choice. WECU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
– Minimum: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); plus one to three years’ related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Thorough knowledge of credit union’s computer system for performing basic input/output tasks.
– Preferred: Relevant training in a credit union, bank or other financial institution.
– Skilled in software used in credit union such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and FSP.
– Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
– Ability to write simple correspondence.
– Should effectively present information in one-on-one situations to members, potential members and other employees of the credit union.
– Spanish speaking preferred.
– A significant level of trust and diplomacy is required, in addition to normal courtesy and tact.
– Work involves extensive personal contact with others and/or is usually of a personal or sensitive nature.
– Work may involve motivating or influencing others.
– Outside contacts become important and fostering sound relationships with other entities, companies and/or individuals becomes necessary.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
– Ability to operate general office machines and equipment such as photocopier, fax, adding machine and computer.
– Ability to accurately add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Application deadline / closing date
If you do not have a specific closing date (e.g. ‘Open until filled’) please select a date which you believe will be a reasonable amount of time to fill the position. 01/31/2020
Salary / rate of pay
$18.59 – $26.24 DOE
Days and hours of employment
M-F 10:30a-7:30p, and Sat. 8:45a-1:30p
Person or department to contact
3061 Orleans St, Bellingham, WA 98226
How to apply
Qualified applicants must apply online via //www.wecu.com/careers-at-wecu
Applications should include