POSITION: PAGE – LYNDEN LIBRARY
DEPARTMENT: Public Services
POSTING DATES: TUESDAY, 04/16/19 TO SATURDAY, 05/04/19
SALARY: $12.98/hour (Pay Level 2)
WORKING HOURS: Sixteen (16) regular weekly hours, plus additional unscheduled hours up to a total of 1014 hours annually, to substitute for absent staff at all WCLS libraries, including evening and weekend hours. Regular schedule: Tuesday and Wednesday – 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. Successful candidates may be required to adapt to future schedule and/or worksite changes depending on library needs.
LOCATION: Regular hours at Lynden Library; substitute hours at Lynden and other libraries
DUTIES: Sorts and shelves books and other library materials alpha/numerically; performs shelf reading and reorganizes shelves for correct location of materials and attractive appearance of shelves; performs minor repairs on books and library materials; assists patrons with basic circulation tasks; and other similar duties.
QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to gain working knowledge of Whatcom County Library System’s policies and procedures; ability to act as a representative of Whatcom County Library System to the public and uphold intellectual freedom standards; ability to perform alpha/numeric filing accurately; ability to learn and utilize the Dewey Decimal System; ability to check materials in and out on the Horizon circulation system; ability to establish priorities and organize workload; ability to maintain tact, courtesy, confidentiality, and strict discretion in dealing with the public; ability to maintain a pleasant and productive working atmosphere. Work requires considerable physical effort in the handling of materials up to 30 pounds and/or continual standing or walking 90%+ of the time. Requires the ability to speak and understand English. Must be 16 years or older to apply. New employees are subject to a CRC (criminal records check) per RCW 43.43.832.
APPLICATION: Submit a completed WCLS Employment Application* along with a Supplemental Questionnaire by 5:00 PM SATURDAY, 05/04/19 to:
Lynden Library 216 4th Street Lynden, WA 98264
Attn: Wendy McLeod, Assistant Branch Manager
Call (360) 354-4883 or email email@example.com for further information
* Résumés and cover letters are optional, unless requested, and will not be accepted as a substitute for a completed WCLS Employment Application form. Application forms are available at http://www.wcls.org to print, fill out and mail in, or at the above address, or at any Whatcom County Library branch.
JOB BEGINS: As soon after hiring as possible
SELECTION: Selection criteria may include the contents of the application, an oral interview, and a skills test. Selection of applicants for further consideration and/or possible testing will be determined by the information supplied by the applicants on their applications and accompanying documents. It will be the responsibility of the applicant to supply sufficient information and detail on the application to permit WCLS to properly determine the applicant’s qualifications, abilities and attributes as they relate to the listed position. Interviews will be scheduled ONLY with best qualified applicants, based upon applications, résumés and other documents received, and test results. Applicants who need accommodation during the application, testing or interview process should contact Human Resources.
The library is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, status as an actual or perceived victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or any other legally protected class.
Library Page – Lynden Library
This supplemental questionnaire must be completed in addition to the WCLS Employment Application.
1. Current Work Schedule Sixteen (16) regular weekly hours, plus additional unscheduled hours up to a total of 1014 hours annually, to substitute for absent staff at all WCLS libraries, including evening and weekend hours. Regular schedule: Tuesday and Wednesday – 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. Successful candidates may be required to adapt to future schedule and/or worksite changes depending on library needs.
Are you available to work the current work schedule for this position? Yes No
2. Availability: Please circle all the additional days and time periods that you would be available to work, if needed (bold periods indicate time periods that include the regular schedule).
Monday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Tuesday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Wednesday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Thursday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Friday: Morning, Afternoon
Saturday: Morning, Afternoon
Sunday: Morning, Afternoon
3. Are you able to regularly lift objects or materials weighing up to 30 pounds, with or without accommodation? Yes No
4. Do you have experience working in a public library, either as a paid employee or a volunteer? Yes No If yes, please describe:
5. Do you have experience filing or sorting alphabetically or numerically? Yes No If yes, please describe:
6. Do you have experience performing tasks with speed and accuracy? Yes No If yes, please describe:
I certify that all information given by me is true, correct and complete:
_______________________________________ Printed Name