The Financial Accountant position works as an integral part of the Sheriff’s Office Administration team with staff throughout the Sheriff’s Office. The position performs diverse and complex accounting duties in a heavily regulated public-sector environment, including:
- Managing multiple federal, state, and local grants and agreements with total awards over $2 million per year.
- Performing contract accounting. Monitors and ensures compliance over financial aspects for approximately 60 departmental contracts.
- Assisting in preparation, monitoring, and management of departmental budgets for 3 separate funds and over 60 different cost centers.
- Preparing and monitoring accounts receivable billings and collections.
- Processing accounts payable.
- Providing back-up for departmental payroll.
- Compiling data and preparing comprehensive financial reports for federal, state, and local agencies.
- The successful candidate must be able to work cooperatively with diverse individuals, groups and agencies, in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
Requires an Associate’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field, AND two years of progressively responsible experience in an accounting-related field, including utilizing a computerized, integrated financial management system.
Experience with State and Federal grant and contract accounting and reporting required.
Knowledge of governmental accounting standards and public sector financial accounting experience is preferred
Due to Civil Service Rules, must be a United States citizen
HIRING PROCESS: Top candidates will be invited (via email) to participate in pre-employment skills testing in the afternoon of March 20, 2018 and an Oral Board panel interview later that month.
Candidates who successfully pass both testing and the Oral Board interview will have their name placed on a Civil Service Eligibility Register. The Eligibility Register will be used to fill the current Financial Accountant vacancy and other Financial Accountant positions that may become vacant in the Sheriff’s Office during the next 12 months.
Due to the extensive Sheriff’s Office background checking process, the person selected to fill this Financial Accountant position may not be eligible to begin employment for several months. Candidates must be willing to participate fully in the background checking process and complete a polygraph examination and psychological evaluation.
To apply: Please visit our website