Job position / title
Marketing and Design Coordinator
Name of business / employer
North Cascades Institute
Job description / duties
North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified applicant to join our Marketing and Development Team. This dynamic, close-knit team is responsible for generating public support for the Institute’s mission of “inspiring and empowering environmental stewardship for all through transformative educational experiences in nature.” They promote Institute programs and fundraising through creative campaigns that include print and web publications, events and outreach, media relations, merchandise, promotional displays, and community engagement. Institute marketing is intertwined with education, natural and cultural history interpretation, storytelling, art and promotion of environmental sustainability, making for an exciting and varied role for the Marketing and Design Coordinator.
This position is based at the Institute’s administrative headquarters in Sedro-Woolley, WA, with occasional travel to the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center on Diablo Lake.
Working with Institute staff, create marketing plans for each Institute department to help ensure these programs operate at capacity goals and meet Institute strategic and operational goals.
● Schedule regular check-ins with staff to monitor marketing plans, track success towards reaching goals using analytics and adjust tactics as needed. Report results out to Marketing team
● Create, manage and track advertising plan; manage contracts and budget and design all print and electronic advertising, including Google Ad Words account, web search optimization, and internet advertising
● Track Institute customers, organize audience segments and create engagement pathways.
● Train Institute staff on current Institute marketing initiatives, correct use of camera and photo archive, website, displays, print materials, etc
Production and Design (45%)
Design and produce print and online marketing and multimedia materials for Institute programs to help ensure these programs operate at capacity and meet Institute strategic and operational goals. Promotional materials may include brochures, newsletters, handbills, posters, postcards, reports, displays, web pages, etc.
● Manage and cultivate relationships with Institute vendors including freelance designers, printers, photographers, artists, and other contract workers
● Develop and maintain an Institute style guide to ensure all print and online materials use consistent branding, logos and messaging; oversee Institute branding in all print materials.
● Manage proper use of Institute logo/fonts/branding in all Institute materials
● Maintain photo archive database and contribute to social media postings, E-newsletters, media requests, fundraising campaigns and more
Website and Other (15%)
● Work with Communications Manager in keeping Institute website content updated, including posting of new graphics and photos. Manage the design integrity of Institute’s website
● Assist at Environmental Learning Center and community events outside of regular office hours as needed
Compensation: This is a regular, full-time, exempt position located in Sedro-Woolley, WA. We offer a competitive compensation package. Salary range is $40,000-$45,000 per annum based on experience. Benefits include paid time-off, medical/dental insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, tax-deferred annuity and contribution retirement plan, and a yearly stipend to participate in Institute programs. There is an active carpool from Bellingham to the Sedro-Woolley office.
Start Date: January 2, 2020
Application Deadline: November 22, 2019 (open until filled)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or marital status, age, sensory, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs. North Cascades Institute is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
About North Cascades Institute: Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature, and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies, and social equity.
North Cascades Institute, http://www.ncascades.org, is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 11 Four-star ratings with Charity Navigator. The Institute was also voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience related to marketing, graphic design, communications, or public relations
● At least two years of experience with the Adobe Creative Suite (including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat)
● Experience working with the suite of Google office apps, including Gmail, Gdrive and Gcalendar
● Strong sense of graphic standards
● Knowledge of the printing process and ability to see projects from concept to completion (i.e. brochures, annual reports, postcards, print and web advertisements)
● Experience working with printers and outside vendors
● Experience working with a website CMS and with bulk emailing client
● Ability to work with a team, receive feedback and also work independently and stick to deadlines
● Excellent organizational skills
● Strong communication skills and ability to engage and inspire visitors, donors and staff
● Commitment to the Institute’s mission and a keen interest in the ecosystem of the North Cascades
● Valid driver’s license and driving record check must have no more than one moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving, or serious moving violations.
● Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search, and a driving history check
• Familiarity with DSLR cameras and Video production
• Familiarity with FinalCut Pro
• Familiarity with Lightroom photo database
• Familiarity with Salesforce (or other database) and Plone
• Familiarity with the North Cascades ecosystem
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
Days and hours of employment
Person or department to contact
810 State Route 20, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
How to apply
Please apply online on our website at: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com. Complete the online application and upload a resume and a cover letter pertinent to this position. Recommended to upload design portfolio as pdfs with application or include link to online portfolio.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter