||This position provides nursing services in Skagit County Jail and Juvenile Detention– provides immunizations, sets up, distributes and administers prescribed medications according to directions, provides prescribed treatments including dressing changes, ointment applications, ear irrigations, etc.; takes recordings of vital signs as needed; documents procedures in inmates medical file; prepares required reports, maintains inventory of medications, supplies and equipment; triages patients for practitioners to see; assists practitioners with exams; places and reads TB skin tests for staff and inmates; assists with communicable disease investigations in jail; provides disease education and prevention; performs HIV counseling and testing; draws blood; and assists the practitioners in carrying out their duties). This position also requires updating corrections staff with necessary immunizations, trainings, testing as necessary. Bi-lingual English/ Spanish preferred.
Distinction between RN I and RN II
• RN I: This level requires an ADN , preferably with clinical experience.
• RN II: This level requires an ADN and two years of clinical experience.
• Provides ongoing care of inmates under the direction of the ARNP/PA/Medical Director
• Provides education and counseling regarding inmates’ illnesses
• Administers prescribed medications, treatments, procedures to assist the inmate in maintaining a healthy status
• Orders necessary supplies, equipment, etc.
• Provides trainings to inmates and staff as necessary.
• Collaborates with Public Health as necessary to facilitate communicable disease reporting and protection from disease
• Makes referrals, utilizes appropriate community resources and acts as inmate advocate
• Provides services to maintain the safety of inmates and employees
• Regularly collects, analyzes and shares data with team members and individuals
• Acts as a liaison, serves as a resource person and provides information about health, communicable diseases and clinical services available
• Refers to, consults with and conferences with supervisor and team members as necessary
• Participates in ongoing education
• Performs other duties as assigned
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Administers Respiratory precaution evaluation, testing, and training to staff as necessary
• May be tasked with performing related duties. Related duties as required are duties that may not be specifically listed in the position description, but are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s classification of work.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is performed primarily in the health clinic in the correctional facility. It may entail exposure to communicable diseases or other unpredictable situations.
• Adequate eye-hand coordination
• Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds
• Sufficient hearing and speech ability to communicate orally
• Ability to use computer
Those present in a normal office environment, and a correctional health clinic. Exposure to hazardous driving conditions and communicable diseases may occur.