Job position / title
Name of business / employer
North Cascades Institute
Job description / duties
North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified, enthusiastic professional to become a member of our Operations team here at the Environmental Learning Center. Based at the Institute’s field campus in the North Cascades National Park (Diablo Lake), this position is responsible for supervising seasonal housekeeping employees and the operation/cleaning of the buildings and facilities on campus at The North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, which may serve up to 92 children and/or adults per day on a seven-day-a-week schedule 12 months a year. Supervised by the Facilities Manager, this position works closely with all other staff, partners and contractors to support a wide array of educational programs.
● Assures that campus facilities are clean and in good operating condition for all incoming programs.
● Oversees campus-wide housekeeping work, maintains service log and inventory.
● Orders housekeeping supplies as needed and budgeted.
● Hires, trains and schedules housekeeping staff.
● Develops, implements and updates written guidelines for housekeeping procedures and protocols.
● Communicates with office/programing staff to provide adequate lodging.
Facilities Housekeeping and Maintenance
● Cleans office, classrooms, dining hall, and participant lodges (sweeps/vacuums/dusts/mops).
● Cleans and restocks restrooms in office, classroom area, dining hall and participant lodges.
● Empties/maintains campus garbage/recycle containers routinely.
● Maintains orderly, clean, and well-stocked janitorial closets.
● Promptly reports maintenance needs and immediately mitigates hazards encountered in the course of duties.
● Cleans staff housing annually or as assigned.
● Performs deep cleaning projects such as window washing twice annually or as assigned.
Repair and Maintenance
● Assists with prescribed major maintenance as outlined in the NCELC MOA and as assigned.
● Performs minor maintenance on buildings.
● Performs routine cleaning of vehicles
● Performs seasonal snow removal
● Performs routine grounds keeping: removing weeds, planting and watering native plants
● Gathers, washes, dries, folds and distributes laundry for participant lodges and other accommodations as assigned.
● Maintains orderly, clean, and functional laundry room.
● Makes participant beds as assigned.
● Assists with routine grounds keeping (removing weeds/thinning native plants/removing fallen debris from trails).
● Assists in other operational areas such as maintenance, food service, and customer service as assigned,
● Participates in general staff responsibilities such as staff meetings, hands to work, risk management, and hospitality.
● Participates in strategic planning, inter-office communications, budgeting, and other duties as assigned by the Facilities Manager.
This is a regular, full time, non-exempt position. The pay rate is $15.00 to $16.00 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience. We offer a competitive compensation package; benefits include paid time-off, medical/dental insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, tax-deferred annuity and contribution retirement plan, and a yearly stipend to participate in Institute programs. Given the remote location, personal transportation is required.
Shared Rental housing may be available. Pets and smoking are not allowed in housing, during programs, or on the Institute’s campus.
January 15, 2020 or as soon as possible.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.
About North Cascades Institute
The Institute’s mission is to inspire and empower environmental stewardship for all through transformative educational experiences in nature. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
North Cascades Institute, http://www.ncascades.org, is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and more than a decade of Four-Star ratings with Charity Navigator. The Institute was also voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.
● Enthusiasm for the mission of the North Cascades Institute.
● Experience in professional housekeeping.
● Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks with exemplary time management skills.
● Ability to comply with a smoke- and drug-free work environment.
● Ability to lift 30 pounds and walk over uneven terrain.
● Recycling, composting and waste handling.
● Ability to accommodate a varied work schedule including weekend work.
● Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
● Previous housekeeping experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities.
● First Aid/CPR/WFR training.
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
Days and hours of employment
Person or department to contact
810 SR 20, Sedro-Woolley WA, 98284
Work location (if different from above)
Diablo Lake, WA
How to apply
Position will remain open until filled.
Please apply online on our website at: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/
Complete the online application and upload a cover letter and resume.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter