Job position / title
Development and Operations Manager
Name of business / employer
Whatcom Dispute Resolution Center
Job description / duties
The Whatcom Dispute Resolution Center (WDRC) seeks a Development and Operations Manager (DOM) to join its team. The DOM is a key staff member and leader within our nonprofit organization. The DOM is responsible for working closely, collaboratively, ad supportively with the Executive Director, Board, and other staff to advance organizational, fund, and service development efforts, promote community awareness, and create opportunities for engaging with our organization. We are seeking an individual to join our team and serve our community by modeling the WDRC’s core values and embodying a warm, welcoming, and professional approach while interacting with volunteers, donors, partners, clients, staff, and the community at large. This position is an ideal opportunity for a thoughtful, enthusiastic, creative, and experienced individual who believes wholeheartedly in our mission and is committed to working together to strengthen our organization. The successful candidate will believe that our vision profoundly resonates with them. They will bring vision and leadership to a collaborative environment, and be able to successfully implement operational plans.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
Support ED as a “thought partner” to advance the strategic direction of the organization.
Work closely with ED to monitor operational performance, strengthen systems, and build organizational capacity
Support implementation of agency-wide initiatives and efforts
Oversee tracking and reporting of agency-wide data and metrics
Supervise community engagement and administrative team members
Serve as a point person in ED’s absence
Design and implement the Fund Development Plan, in coordination with ED and Board
Oversee our organization’s donor database
Participate in Board Fund Development committee meetings
Oversee agency fundraising, outreach, and special events to ensure and maximize their success and impact
Coordinate Board involvement in agency events
Identify new donors event sponsors in collaboration with ED and Board
Cultivate donor relations; design appeals, and solicit and receive donor contributions.
Research, write, and manage grants in alignment with agency’s strategic and operational plans.
Maintain annual grants calendar; track application and reporting deadlines
Write grant acknowledgment letters
Community Engagement Development
Work closely with ED and staff to maintain positive relationships with other organizations, government agencies, donors, and community supporters.
Design and develop messaging and marketing materials to tell our story and promote our programs, services, and events to current and new targeted audiences.
Serve as liaison with media; ensure timely press releases are written and issued.
Oversee annual communications calendar.
Research and compile internal and external statistics that demonstrate efficacy and impact of WDRC services.
Oversee design, publishing, and distribution of the annual report.
Participate in networking to advance our community visibility.
Identify and support opportunities to reach diverse, underserved communities in collaboration with Staff and Board.
Program and Services Development
Work closely with ED and staff to identify and pursue service development opportunities.
Expand and diversify our client base for agency-wide services.
At the direction of the ED, pursue and manage special projects.
Ensure effective coordination and teamwork of staff, volunteers, and contractors to support operational, service and fund development efforts.
Actively participate in staff meetings and agency events.
Collaborate with other staff to achieve organization’s mission and contribute to shared staff responsibilities
Other duties as assigned
1. MA in related field and minimum 3-5 years of supervision and management experience;
2. Belief in and understanding of our mission, and familiarity with mediation and conflict resolution;
3. Demonstrated track record of fund development, including grant procurement;
4. Flexibility, including ability to occasionally work early morning, evening, and weekend hours;
5. Exceptional organizational skills, and a high level of attention to detail;
6. Excellent verbal and written communicator , and an outstanding listener;
7. Strong sense of initiative, sense of humor, and compassion;
8. Desire and ability to work collaboratively;
9. Excellent proficiency with Windows applications, experience with relational databases;
10. Able to create mail merges and templates, customize spreadsheets, set up queries and reports;
11. Ability to enlist support, delegate, and work effectively with volunteers;
12. Ability to multi-task, manage time, meet deadlines, and address emergent issues;
13. Ability to work comfortably with limited supervision;
14. Ability to troubleshoot/problem solve as issues arise;
15. Event coordination and project management experience;
16. Public relations and communications experience;
17. Ability to lift 40 lbs;
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
1. Bilingual in Spanish
2. Familiarity with Whatcom County businesses, organizations, and community at large
3. Experience with development and implementation of strategic and operational plans
4. Experience with developing human resource policies and procedures;
5. Mediator certification;
6. Proficiency with Canva, In-Design, or equivalent layout application;
7. Comfort and ease with technology and social media (Facebook, Twitter, blogs);
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
$45,000 – $52,000
Days and hours of employment
Person or department to contact
Jaina Gemin, Search Coordinator
206 Prospect Street
How to apply
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Jaina Gemin, Search Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org . Use the subject line: Development and Operations Manager Position Application (YOUR NAME)
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter