CITY OF BELLINGHAM invites applications for the position of: AmeriCorps – Parks Restoration Educator
OPENING DATE: 11/11/19 CLOSING DATE: 12/16/19 11:59 PM
DATES OF SERVICE: February 4 – July 31, 2019 (8:00am-4:30pm Tuesday-Saturday; early mornings, weekend and occasional evenings required)
SUMMARY: The Parks Restoration Educator engages community members of all ages in the environmental restoration of Bellingham’s Parks through hands-on stewardship and environmental education. The AmeriCorps member will develop and lead volunteer work parties for the public and teach environmental stewardship programs for school-aged students with the goal of protecting and enhancing parklands, increasing biodiversity, and improving wildlife habitat. Duties will include restoration project planning, volunteer outreach, recruitment and tracking, community partnership support, environmental education curriculum development and delivery, and capacity building. This position is funded through Washington Service Corps with the City of Bellingham Park Operations.
• Bachelor’s degree with focus on environment, education or related field preferred
• Creative, energetic, flexible, motivated, and professional
• Strong organization and excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excited to serve with a variety of ages of volunteers from school-age to adults
• Comfortable speaking publicly in front of 50 or more people and leading groups of volunteers in field work
• Experience with service learning and environmental education with school-aged students
• Knowledge of Pacific Northwest native plants and urban wildlife
• Familiar with ecology and restoration principles
• Ability to solve problems creatively and complete tasks independently with only general supervision
• Commitment to promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion in programming
• Familiar with computer programs such as Publisher, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Willing to serve outdoors in all seasons for long hours, weekends, and occasionally evenings
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and work over uneven terrain on steep slopes in inclement weather
• 18 years of age or older
• Current Washington State driver’s license and acceptable driving record for the past three years
• US citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien
• Ability to pass a criminal background and child/adult abuse records check
• Living allowance of $7,842 (distributed over 6 months)
• Education Award of $2,907 upon successful completion of 6-month commitment (minimum of 900 hours)
• Basic health insurance and workers compensation coverage
• Loan forbearance and interest accrual reimbursement for qualified student loans
• Childcare assistance for qualifying members
• Networking, training, and professional development opportunities
• A chance to make a difference in your community, schools, and parks!
1. Why do you want to serve as the Bellingham Parks Restoration Educator and how will this position help you reach your professional goals?
2. This position serves in school classrooms and in the field with elementary and middle school students doing environmental education and stewardship. Describe your experience being a leader and teacher of youth of these ages.
3. This position serves at volunteer work parties with the general public. Describe your experience leading adults and coordinating events.
4. Environmental restoration is a key component of the Parks Volunteer Program. Describe your experience implementing environmental restoration and your knowledge of native and invasive plants of western Washington.
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, resume, answers for supplemental questions, and three references with current contact information to email@example.com. Please write “AmeriCorps 6-month Restoration Educator Application” in the subject line. Application review will begin immediately. Applicants will also be required to apply online on the AmeriCorps website (link to be sent to finalists).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 16, 2019 (11:59 PM)
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Vanessa Young, Bellingham Parks Volunteer Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or 360778-7108