Part-Time On Call Juvenile Detention Officer Juvenile Detention Center
*Multiple positions available*
Salary: $18.78 per hour
Closing Date: December 2, 2019 at 4:30 PM Do you have the ability to work varied shifts with little notice?
Would you enjoy the challenge of working as part of a team committed to the goal of rehabilitating juvenile offenders?
Do you have the ability to exert a calming influence and gain the cooperation of people in crisis or emotionally charged situations?
Do you enjoy and have experience working with youth? If you are looking for rewarding work that will have a positive impact on our community, Whatcom County is interested in learning more about your qualifications and experience to fill this key role in the Whatcom County’s Juvenile Detention Center. Juvenile Detention is a safe and secure environment for youth who have been arrested pending a court appearance or who have been sentenced to serve time after a court appearance. The temporary Juvenile Detention Officer position serves a critical role ensuring a humane, safe and rehabilitative environment for juvenile offenders.
Key duties include:
• Monitoring the detention facility security to ensure the safety of juveniles and staff
• Directing and/or participating in activities and programs for juveniles
• Escorting juveniles to appointments, as well as overseeing visits from authorized visitors
• Documenting observations of daily behaviors, including writing reports
Qualifications Requires a high school diploma or GED AND two years of experience working with youth or two years of experience in residential treatment and treatment and supervision, military security or supervision. OR Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or closely related field. Experience with at-risk youth and security is desired.
A bachelor’s degree in social sciences or criminology is desired. An eligible applicant will:
• have a driving record that meets County standards.
• possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.
• pass job-related tests.
• pass polygraph and psychological exam.
• have a background check that meets County criteria.
Whatcom County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply: Please visit our website http://www.whatcomcounty.us/jobs
Human Resources, 311 Grand Avenue, Suite 107, Bellingham, WA 98225