Job position / title
Name of business / employer
North Cascades Institute
Job description / duties
North Cascades Institute is seeking a qualified, enthusiastic individual to join our administrative team. Based in Sedro-Woolley, the Executive Assistant provides executive-level support to the Executive Director, Board Chair and Board of Directors. This position also provides limited support for the Associate Director and works independently performing a wide range of complex and confidential administrative and clerical support duties.
Executive Support Responsibilities
● Coordinates daily calendar for Executive Director (ED). Plan and schedule local/regional appointments, meetings and events. Work closely with the Development team to schedule donor visits and trips to Seattle and surrounding areas.
● Provides support for ED’s meetings, deadlines, presentations and other duties.
● Act as a liaison for the Executive Director for requests from staff and public for meetings and presentations.
● Coordinates and manages travel arrangements for Executive Director (flights, accommodations and other itinerary specifics). Provide occasional travel support for other senior staff and board members.
● Provides administrative support to the Board of Directors and board chair.
● Coordinates board meetings and retreat logistics, assists with scheduling, invitations, agendas, takes board minutes and compiles and distributes board meeting materials. Maintain accurate board archives.
● Provides support for special projects (E.g., Strategic Planning, consultants, etc.).
● Maintains Board Members’ Google Shared Drive for meetings, board handbook and recruitment materials. Provide training and instruction to board members to ensure technology adoption.
● Coordinates and schedule Board committees’ meetings, sending invites and communicating with committee chairs.
● Provides support to staff Leadership Team: create annual calendar, draft meeting agenda templates, organize and maintain materials for Leadership Team’s Google Shared Drive.
● Assists with schedules and materials for Leadership Team meetings.
● Provides outstanding customer service to Institute customers, staff and partners by anticipating needs and proactively addresses issues as they arise.
● Manages and reconciles Executive and Associate Director’s monthly credit card statements.
● Assists other senior management with scheduling and coordinating meetings.
Other Administration Responsibilities
● Plans and coordinates monthly Sedro-Woolley staff meetings (logistics, food, minutes, etc.). Provides support to Associate Director for staff retreats.
● Provides document review and editing support for Human Resources department.
● Acts as “chief morale officer” by connecting with staff, remembering important dates (e.g., birthdates), encouraging fun and joy at the office, supporting fellow colleagues, organizing Finance and Administration gatherings.
● Takes the initiative to provide support to other areas of the Institute with help for the general needs of the Institute.
● Other duties as assigned by supervisor or Executive and Associate Directors.
Compensation and Benefits
• This is a regular, 80%-time (4 days per week), non-exempt position
• NCI offers a competitive compensation package; benefits include paid time-off, medical/dental insurance and tax-deferred annuity and contribution retirement plans
• Hourly wage $17-$18 (depends on experience)
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
October 2019 or sooner
Equal Opportunity Employer: Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or marital status, age, sensory, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs. North Cascades Institute is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
About North Cascades Institute: The Institute’s mission is to inspire and empower environmental stewardship for all through transformative educational experiences in nature. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
North Cascades Institute, http://www.ncascades.org, is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget, strong reserves, and 15 Four-star ratings with Charity Navigator. The Institute operates the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center in the heart of North Cascades National Park, a 1.5 hour drive east of the Institute’s Administrative Offices in Sedro-Woolley. The Institute was voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.
The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication (verbal, written, technology) and interpersonal skills and the ability to provide information and service to a wide range of internal and external contacts. This position requires a high degree of initiative, independence, professionalism, discretion in handling confidential information, and the ability be flexible and adapt to a professional, high-paced office environment.
• Passion for the Institute’s goal to connect people, nature and community
• Demonstrated project management skills, including consistently meeting deadlines
• Two years of relevant experience
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work well under pressure and to move from task to task with frequent interruptions
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and Google’s G Suite
• Ability to synthesize complex information and communicate it in a succinct form
• Self-motivated – able to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment
• Available for occasional weekend or evening work and travel within Washington State
• Commitment to building a work environment that is welcoming and inclusive to all
• Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check
Application deadline / closing date
Salary / rate of pay
$17-$18 /hour depending on experience
Days and hours of employment
4 days/week, 32 hours
Person or department to contact
810 State Route 20, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
How to apply
To Apply: Please apply online on our website at: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/. Complete the online application and upload a resume and a cover letter pertinent to this position.
Applications should include
[×] Cover letter