WHATCOM COUNTY JOB ANNOUNCEMENT Public Safety Communications Manager Sheriff’s Office
Salary: $6,211 – $8,365 per month, DOQ
Closing Date: September 5, 2019 at 11:59 PM The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office seeks an experienced proven leader and technical expert and to serve as Public Safety Communications Manager for the Division of Emergency Management.
This critical position will be responsible for overseeing the design, implementation and operations of the Whatcom County Integrated Public Safety Radio System. Essential Job Duties Include:
• Coordinating Public Safety communications including WhatComm Law Enforcement, Prospect Fire/EMS, Western Washington University, Whatcom Transportation Authority and all peripheral electronic and telecommunications equipment related to First Responder safety and deployment.
• Providing project management to facilitate the design, implementation and reliable 24-hour secure operation of the public safety radio system including mobile radio and emergency data communication systems and networks.
• Coordinating the bidding process. Makes recommendations on the issuance of contracts. Negotiates and prepares contracts for service. Monitors and updates project budgets to assure expenditures are within approved authority. Manages grant requirements for any system purchased with grand funds, including equipment management, identification, and inventory.
• Overseeing and coordinating the design and permit process and work of technical contractors and other personnel to assure compliance with bid or contract specifications, efficient and economical use of funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
• Providing technical expertise, consultation, and team leadership to develop creative solutions for complex organization-wide issues.
• Acting as the County representative to the Northwest Regional Interoperability Consortium and Northwest LEARN. Serves as the County and APCO Frequency Manager and ensure compliance to all FCC rules and regulations. Serves as primary technical lead for implementation of national FirstNet program. Acts as primary County Mobilization Coordinator for all emergency communications capabilities. The ideal candidate must have seasoned knowledge of design, engineering and maintenance of complex radio and paging systems associated with public safety communications centers including knowledge of the Incident Command System (ICS) and National Incident Management System (NIMS) principals and best practices for Public Safety Emergency Communications. They must also possess strong project management skills and have the ability to communicate and work effectively with both public and political stakeholders. Qualifications: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, information technology, telecommunications or a closely related field AND 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the management, design, installation, maintenance and repair of emergency communications infrastructure.
An Associate’s degree in Electronic Engineering Technology or closely related field AND 7 years of progressively responsible experience as stated above.
Whatcom County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply: Please visit our website http://www.whatcomcounty.us/jobs
Human Resources, 311 Grand Avenue, Suite 107, Bellingham, WA 98225