Residential Youth Counselor – Everett, Arlington, and Monroe
Join our team! You could play an important role at Cocoon House.
We empower young people, families, and communities to break the cycle of homelessness through outreach, housing and prevention. Through our programs, we serve hundreds of youth and their families throughout Snohomish County. To learn more, please visit our website at http://www.cocoonhouse.org
Here is the Job Purpose and Additional Details:
- Provide a safe and supportive environment for our teens. Promote positive interaction, train and coach life and social skills, as well as enrichment activities.
- Supply information, referrals, and support to the community by phone.
Pay: $13-$15 per hour depending upon the shift
Hours: 5-40 hours per week, with overnight, swing, and on-call position available.
Benefits: Depending upon the position, these may be available after 60 days, with the exception of on-call
- Partner with case managers to support youth case plans and interact with youth in accordance to plans.
- Perform intake and exit process for youth, orienting them to the program, and completing required data.
- Communicate with other providers to ensure youth are following through with their commitments. Update and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Supervise youth in care, and ensure their safety. Interact with them and oversee their compliance with policies, rules, and guidelines of the program.
- Hold the youth accountable and, in coordination with other staff, assign consequences as appropriate.
- Provide feedback to youth and other staff regarding behavior.
- Oversee youths’ health. Arrange appropriate appointments, fill prescriptions, dispense medication, etc.
- Respond to community calls and visits. Provide information, referrals and directions.
- Attend training sessions, and all case management and staff meetings.
- Relate with our youth and staff while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Assess and prioritize our youths’ developmental needs.
- Record and document forms as required for case planning and CPS reporting.
- Diffuse escalated behavior of our youth.
- Assess dangerous and emergency situations, and access appropriate emergency or other support.
- Demonstrated acceptance of a variety of lifestyles, behaviors, and cultural and spiritual practices.
- Commitment to both the Agency’s mission and positive youth development model.
- Have current WA state driver’s license.
Within 30 days:
- Be cleared by DSHS background check.
- Be over 21 years of age.
- Provide evidence of a food handler’s permit, TB test, HIV certifications, and CPR and First Aid training.
- Because our facilities are staffed 24 hours per day, some Residential Youth Counselors may be required to work nights and/or weekends, dependent on program shifts and Agency needs.
- Staff may work with challenging clients, and must demonstrate the ability to de-escalate youth and situations.
- Both orally and in writing, communicate effectively with youth, staff, other programs, vendors and the public.
- Be able to hear voices and alarms.
- Possess close vision, far vision, side vision, depth perception, and visual ability to read a variety of materials.
- Have dexterity of hands and fingers to reach, handle and operate telephone, computer keyboard, and record information in appropriate youth files and logs.
Note: Cocoon House will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified persons with disabilities if requested.
More about Cocoon House:
Cocoon House is strongly committed to removing barriers, and to supporting inclusion and diversity in all of its forms. We strive to create a safe and open atmosphere for youth, families, staff, board members, community partners and funders. We learn from the diverse individuals we work with, and embrace their unique attributes to ensure we fulfill our agency mission and core values.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We seek to provide equal opportunity for all persons without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected under the law. People of color and members of the LGBTQI community are strongly encouraged to apply. We are dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce, committed to working in a multicultural environment and we strongly encourage applications from veterans, and marginalized populations; including people of color, women and those in the LGBTQ community. We encourage those with personal experience with homelessness to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please email a resume and cover letter in Word or PDF format to
Phone calls not accepted, and only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
Check out all of our employment opportunities at: http://www.cocoonhouse.org/employment