Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated skills in interpersonal communication, interviewing, client assessment, problem-solving, organization, time management, and documentation of activities.
• Ability to manage several tasks at one time with repeated interruptions, in a shared office space, and meet regular deadlines.
• Extensive knowledge of the formal and informal support networks available to the residents of the appropriate service area. Demonstrated ability to triage client needs, assess client’s strengths and weaknesses, and match clients with services in the region. Knowledge of the assigned geographical area.
• Knowledge of the long term care process, issues related to aging and disability, service delivery systems, and family caregiver issues.
• Demonstrated ability to work with computers and various computer software programs including Microsoft Office, Access database, internet, and email. Ability to operate standard office equipment.
• Ability to track authorization costs and stay within a budget.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written format. Ability to develop and present clear information to groups of people.
• Ability to locate resources using resource database and files to match the needs identified by clients with the eligibility requirements of the program. Ability to interpret the eligibility requirements of Medicare, Medicaid and other public programs.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information, including client information, and financial records.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other members of government service, community agencies, appropriate community businesses, and members of the general public using courtesy, tact, and good judgment.
• Sensitivity to the needs and values that are present in working with diverse groups of people.
• Knowledge of Alzheimer and dementing disease processes preferred.
• Skill and/or fluency in speaking Russian or Spanish is desired.
• Bachelor’s Degree in social services or related field; AND
• Two years of social service experience; OR
• An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the skills, knowledge and ability to perform the work.